Leafy green vegetables are fantastic on pizza. Italians love 'Friarielli' but it's hard to find in the UK so I've used purple sprouting broccoli instead.
Use creamy ricotta, salty olives, a good grating of Grana Padano, liberal use of some Calabrian spicy peperoncini and a fantastic pizza awaits.
Ingredients to make two pizzas to serve 3-4
2 Pinsa Romana bases, defrosted (takes 45-60 minutes)
300g purple sprouting broccoli
250g sheep's milk ricotta or organic Cows milk ricotta
1 clove of garlic, finely grated
Zest from 1 lemon
½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
4 tablespoons pitted Leccino olives
2-3 tablespoons of Calabrian peperoncini peppers
A good grating of Grana Padano
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat your oven to it's maximum temperature, at least 240°C and place a pizza stone or baking tray inside the oven to heat up as well.
2. If any of the broccoli stalks are particularly chunky, you may have to snip these off and slice them through the middle before you start cooking. Heat a large frying pan with a few drizzles on oil and fry the broccoli for a couple of minutes, adding a pinch of salt. Then add in a few splashes of water that will create enough steam to cook the broccoli to just tender. Test by chopping off one of the ends and tasting, you may have to add a little bit more water. Once it's cooked, turn off the heat and set to one side.
3. In a bowl, mix the ricotta with the zest of the lemon, a little of it's juice, the dried oregano, grated garlic and a generous grated of Grana Padano.
4. Generously spread a layer of the ricotta mixture over one of the pinsa Romana bases. Arrange some of the broccoli over the top, scatter over some olives, spoon little piles of peperoncini evenly around the base and add a few more dollops of ricotta. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil over everything, season with a couple more pinches of salt and a good grating of Grana Padano.
5. Place in your preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, until the edges develop a golden brown colour. Remove from the oven, slice into 8 pieces and dive in!
Enjoy foodies, and don't forget to tag us in your social post and leave a review below when you make this at home. Ben
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Do you love new recipes?
Let us inspire you! We write a new recipe every week using our foodie ingredients. Sign up here to receive them.
We promise we won't bombard you - and we will NEVER share your data with anyone else.
Ben and Alice