The tacos that you find on every Mexican street corner are often cooked really quickly - it's street food, you can't hang about. We have a recipe that will allow you to make really quick authentic tacos, that are so tasty, it will become your 'go to' meal.
The secret of this recipe lies in the Mojo sauce. It's a mouth tingling combination of chipotle and jalapeno chillies with orange juice, garlic and lime. I absolutely love this sauce, it also works brilliantly with chicken, beef, black beans, pumpkin, squashes - just about anything really.
If you are really pushed for time you can simply serve the tacos with some sliced spring onions, diced avocado, some of our brilliant salsa taqueria, a dollop of sour cream, some fresh coriander and a squeeze of lime juice. All that's required is for you to cook the pork, chop up the spring onions and avocado - everything else is ready to go.
If you have a little more time, I like to make a simple pickled red onion as a garnish. The clean, sharpness of the onion works brilliantly with the rest strong flavours. You may also want to have the zingy flavours of a green tomatillo salsa as well, this will require blitzing our green tomatillos with some white onion and fresh coriander. You can be as elaborate with this recipe as your time allows, but the basic recipe is still outrageously tasty.
I love the conviviality of sitting round a table with everyone constructing their version of the perfect taco.
Adobo Pork Tacos
800g Boneless Pork Loin, diced into 1cm cubes
125ml Karimix Cuban Mojo Sauce
16 x Corn Tortillas
2 x Avocados, diced
4 x Spring Onions, finely sliced
2 x Fresh Limes, cut into wedges
1 x Can Herdez Salsa Taqueria
Big bunch of Fresh Coriander, chopped
Pot of Sour Cream (omit for a dairy-free diet)
Tacos are most definitely best eaten warm, you can cook the tacos and keep them warm in our lovely woven basket taco warmers.
1. Dice the pork loin into quite small 1cm cubes.
2. Heat a frying pan up so it's smoking hot, add a small splash of oil and throw in the diced pork. Quickly arrange them in the pan so they are evenly spread out, then leave them to develop a nice colour. After a minute or so, toss the pork around in the pan to brown the other sides. Once the pork is nearly cooked and has a lovely caramelised crust, pour in the Mojo sauce and mix the pork through. Turn the heat down and cook the pork in this sauce for another couple of minutes, it should reduce down a create a lovely coating on the meat.
3. Meanwhile heat up a second pan and cook the tacos for around 30 seconds on each side.
4. Bring your cooked tacos to the table along with the cooked pork and all the other garnishes.
5. Everyone will have their idea on how to build their own personal taco, but for me, a warm taco, a pile of tasty pork, salsa, onions, avocado and sour cream.
If you have more time, try adding in these extras to your table.
Green Tomatillo Salsa
1 x Can Green Tomatillos
½ White Onion, finely diced
1tbsp El Yucateco Jalapeno Salsa
1 x Clove of Garlic, crushed
Juice of Half a Lime
A generous spring of Fresh Corinader, chopped
1. Remove the whole tomatillos from the can (discarding the liquid that they're in).
2. You can either blitz these up in a food processor, or, to save on washing up, chop them up with a knife until they are a smooth, quite runny consistency.
3. Now add in the finely chopped onion, garlic clove, a good handful of fresh coriander (chopped), a squeeze of half a lime and about a tablespoon of the jalapeno salsa - more if you like it hot!
Recipe for Pickled Red Onions
2 x Red Onions, finely diced
1 x Clove of Garlic, finely diced
½tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 x Fresh Bay Leave
2 x Cloves, crushed
½tsp Black Peppercorns, crushed
3tbsps Olive Oil
75ml Cider Vinegar
Sea Salt to taste
1. In a pan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves. Cook over a low heat for 3 or 4 minutes.
2. Add the red onion and cook for a further 3 or 4 minutes - you just want the red onions to warm through (not fry).
3. Add the vinegar and salt and allow to cool
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Join the foodie revolution...
We've love to keep you in the loop with new recipes, ingredients and offers. We promise not to bombard you and we will NEVER share your data with anyone else...